Mar 11, 2008

Yo from James!

Hello there! Sorry, it did actually take me a little while to get on to this post, but better late than never, no? Anyway, I'm James, and thanks to Steph I'm now an official contributor to this blog! I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to write about indie culture, but I really can't profess to be an expert on any form of social inquiry. However, I shall do my best to enlighten you, dear readers, to the wonders and joys of the world of indie.

Whatever that is...

Anyway, I guess I should put something music-related in my first post. So I shall narrate to you my current musical obsessions, all of which are surprisingly very indie indeed. Here goes:

Dappled Cities (Fly) - Granddance

I first heard these guys live supporting LCD Soundsystem, and was really impressed. They perfectly suited the way I was feeling on the night. When I first got their album, I wasn't so sure about it, but a friend mentioned that he always thought of them as more of a summery band. It's true; lately I've been playing them on lazy, warm Sunday afternoons, and they're awesome!
Highlight: Fire Fire Fire

Coconut Records - Nighttiming

This is the band of Jason Schwartzman, who I've loved ever since seeing The Darjeeling Limited and becoming obsessed with Peter Sarstedt's Where Do You Go To (My Lovely). Anyway, a friend recommended picking up the album, and it's totally worth it! As usual, I can't really explain what they're like, but it's just kinda nice poppy indie mixed in with something you can 'bop' to, at least in some tracks.
Highlight: Nighttiming

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Pershing

I didn't actually realise until a while after I 'obtained' this album that it's actually not released yet. I just wanted to hear what they were like! And this is what I could find. But seriously, who could resist, with a band name like that? Kind of reminds me of a cross between Elliott Smith and the soundtrack to Maltilda (don't ask how I relate it to either of them, I just do. I don't even remember Matilda).
Highlight: Um... Glue Girls or Dead Right, I guess.

Hopefully I can write something more useful next time! :D

And sorry those albums don't have pictures, I couldn't work out how to make them work properly. So much for being an I.T. student...

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

ohhh i only have old Boris Yeltsin... should 'obtain' the new one also.

Is it totally uncouth to comment on my own blog? haha.

You entry was fab, James! :D

Unknown said...

I feel so betrayed! Ok not really. Hi James. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

heheh. coconut records!
and yay for dappled cities.