Jan 28, 2008

Indie? No.

Arctic Monkeys:
C'mon. I bet that you look good on the dancefloor was not even good. A prime example of an NME indie darling that really should not have been. I admit that Brianstorm is an OK song, until you get 39 seconds into the song, that is. Overrated is an understatement. The only positive is the attractiveness of lead singer Alex Turner.

Architecture in Helsinki:
Ugh. I thought I liked twee as a genre... Until I came across this band. Please, go back to primary school if you want to sound like a bunch of 5-year-olds. Pardon the 5 reference. Not intentional. I loathe that song, and its video too. My friend offered me a free ticket to their gig, I declined.

The Gossip:
OHMYGOD how catchy is Standing in the Way of Control!?!? I KNOW! You know what? Everyone who claims to like this band have only heard this song (and its copius and unwarranted amount of remixes). Everyone else has heard the rest of the album, or just knows better.

Klaxons:
Once again, NME/Click Click/Pogo darlings that should not have been. All their songs sound the same! All annoying! Cashing in on the indie dance hype, on the cheap.

Le Tigre:
Hooray, you're lesbians and you're really, really proud of it. Good for you. The idea is to make your music good enough that it sells itself, not via cheap marketing ploys. Take a leaf out of Tegan and Sara's book, not t.A.T.u's.

Simian Mobile Disco:
see entry for Klaxons.

Operator Please:
I don't care if they're only 19, and that NME love them. If it's just a song about ping pong, why is it worthy of being a song? No, no, vindictive.

The Wombats:
I liked them. Past tense. Their CD got old after the second spin. All their songs sound exactly the same. And they have that stupid over-the-top Brit accent I hate, ugh. I am sucker for their use of the hi-hat, naturally, I was ensnared, but I have escaped.

The Pigeon Detectives/The Young Knives/Tokyo Police Club:
Are these actually separate bands? They all sound like the Arctic Monkeys! NME stop throwing us the same old shit, we've heard enough of this, please, I beg you, send the people something innovative!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it, but i think admiring the musical merits of certain bands is infinitely more constructive than derision.
Personally, i find Death Cab for Cutie quite sterile, manipulatively romantic and self-consciously 'indie', but relent that they strike a chord with certain people for their lyrical strength and subtlty of digital sound.
Also, Arctic Monkeys are awesome.