Jan 25, 2008

2008 Prospectus - It's no 2007.

One bad thing about having a great year in music where just about everyone releases a new album, is the inevitable slump in new releases the following year, a.k.a. this year.

It's a good time for new bands to be discovered, of course, so I suspect there will be quite a few new sensations this year.

There were a few in 2007. Initially I liked the Fratellis, but I'm already sick of them. Same goes for the Wombats. Plz stick to one album guys. Hopefully this year will bring some decent "NME indie darlings",

I'm looking forward to checking out Vampire Weekend and Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin.

However, I've been scouring the net looking for news of new albums this year from my favourite artists, and it's not all bad, but it is slim pickings.

City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love (Feb '08)

Hot Chip - Made in the Dark (Feb 5)

Flogging Molly - Float (March 4)

Thrice - Alchemy Index Vol. 3 & 4 (April 15)

Phantom Planet - Raise the Dead (April 15)

Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs (May '08)

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (June 10)

Ben Kweller - Changing Horses (Sept '08)

Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping (Oct '08)

The Postal Service, Franz Ferdinand, Gang of Four, The Faint, Alkaline Trio (?? '08)

Oh well, at least it's something. I was looking through my top artists on Lastfm and at least two thirds of them released new albums last year, many of the rest were disbanded, or dead.

I'm hanging out for next year already.

No comments: