May 23, 2008

Last.fm Beta Site

So I noticed Steph isn't a Last.fm subscriber any more, but I still am so I can tell you about all these cool things that we get access to. Admittedly it isn't a whole heap most of the time (no ads, you can see who's recently visited your page), but every now and then you get access to every computer geek's dream: the beta.

Every now and then before releasing new features, Last.fm releases a beta version that subscribers can try out and give feedback on. This time they've gone a step further and put out a whole new beta website, with everything revamped and upgraded.

And it's pretty darned cool.

One of my favourite new things is your personal 'library', which contains records of all the songs you've ever played. Mine currently contains a paltry 311 artists, something which I'll be working on rectifying before the beta gets released to everyone. For comparison, Steph has 772 artists in her library, Nick has 575, and Steve has 76 (I included Steve pretty much to make me feel better).

Another very welcome feature is the ability to go through old shouts. It always annoyed me that you could only see the most recent few, but that has now been fixed. Woo!

There's also a Facebook-esqe activity feed (but less creepy!), and charts are a lot more customisable.

Obviously, being a beta, it's still missing a lot of polish, and there's still a few issues here and there, but I'm really looking forward to see it in its finished form; it's really awesome!

So if you want a sneak preview, become a Last.fm subscriber now ;).

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Ooh la la! I shall re-subscribe them, it's so cheap! i just didn't see the point in renewing it after my month was up... it was actually creeping me our being able to see who was looking at my page. *coughlizcough*

And whoaaaaah at my artist count, that's insane! I'm proud of myself :D

Nice post, James!