May 24, 2008

Metal and Death Cab.

I have noticed a very interesting trend...

"Metal heads" as I refer to them... whatever sub-genre of metal they choose to listen to, appear to have a tendency to enjoy certain bands that seem grotesquely out of context when compared to their usual music taste.

These certain bands often appear in the genre that I find more aligned to myself and James. I am unsure whether I should be offended that people with such choices in music also appreciate music that I do... Or whether I should applaud their attempt at crossing stiff genre borders (metal and indie should always be kept strictly separate).

My primary example is none other than the kings of indie, Death Cab for Cutie.
Has anybody else noticed that many metal heads these days also enjoy the sweet melodies of our very own Cabbies? This confuses me no end! One of the biggest fan of Death Cab that I know IRL, is Tom, my ex-boyfriend and self-confessed metal head. He loves that shit! And his top artists include; Lamb of God, SikTh, Tool and Nine Inch Nails.
Other known metal heads with Death Cab high up in their overall artist charts include my frienemy Richard, his girlfriend Lauren, and of course, my boyfriend Ricky (whose somewhat rocky relationship with Death Cab I have mentioned a couple of times already in this blog). I'm beginning to think I should be interviewing him and others on what they see in Death Cab.
I cannot, for the life of me, work out in my head where the music of Death Cab, and the music of, say Tool, find common ground... at all! And if they claim to simply be enjoyers of fine music in all genres... then why are they listening to Tool, and why aren't they listening to Kanye West?

Secondly, Radiohead. I understand these guys are hugely, massively, mind-blowingly popular with the entire human population, however, I still fail to see an alignment between Radiohead and Lamb of God and their genre companions. At this point I'm starting to feel a little close-minded, because, I although I indulge in sub-genres of metal sometimes (hang on, Atreyu are my second top band... oops), and I obviously enjoy indie... I still feel no alliance to people like Tom, Richard or Ricky when it comes to indie music. Could somebody enlighten me please?

Other bands I have noted include, Sigur Ros, Coldplay and Gotye.

I leave you with a couple of SMS quotes from my primary example, Thomas Gordon:
"New death cab is awwwwwesome. Actually very different to plans, \m/ fucking metal!"
"Haha yeah it's metal, i love "talking bird" when ben does that scream about 1min in: "KILLING TALKING BIRDS!! DEAD ZOMBIE BIIIYAAAAAARGHDS!" You know the bit?"

I rest my case. Metals heads are insane.

No comments: